Suggestions and Ideas for Implementing
Churches Uniting in Christ
- Pulpit Exchange: Invite a member of a neighboring CUIC congregation to serve on a board or committee of your church.
- Call a minister from another CUIC church.
- Create a ministers' association or support group.
- Celebrate regional meetings for pastors of CUIC churches.
- The purpose of these meetings is fellowship, networking, and to encourage common mission work and activities in general.
Opportunities for learning and growth
- Teach about the other churches in your own education programs. Invite a member of one of the other churches to teach about his/her tradition. This could happen in a local church (bible study, Sunday school) or at regional denominational meetings (workshops).
- Invite other churches to participate in regional conferences or educational activities.
- National Day of Prayer.
- Vesper service.
- Pray for nearby CUIC congregations by name.
- Meet to pray for the leaders in your community; invite the leaders (Breakfast Prayer Meeting, etc)
- Include representatives of neighboring CUIC congregations in your baptisms, ordinations and installations.
- Celebrate the Lord's Supper with other CUIC congregations in your area.
- Invite other churches' choir or praise band.
- Invite representatives to regional meetings (presbytery, synods, boards, etc).
- Celebrate a joint Easter or Christmas service.
- Encourage churches to celebrate the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity.
- During this week churches may celebrate CUIC and other unity related activities.
- Raise Funds for local Social Ministry.
- Develop joint support groups (Single parents, single, divorced people, etc).
- Participate in joint mission trips.
Celebration of Holy Days
- Celebrate with a community party or picnic on a holy day.
- Celebrate a community activity on Christmas day.
Exchange of News and Activities
- Include special activities in the other churches' bulletins.
- Send someone to other CUIC churches to announce special activities.
- With the help of volunteers, the churches within a community can develop a web-based CUIC announcement board.
- Place the CUIC logo on the church letterhead and on the church sign or marquee.
- Undertake mission projects with CUIC partners on a regular basis, especially projects aimed at overcoming racism.
- Celebrate the Dr. Martin Luther King National Holiday.
- Invite a church of another race to celebrate a special prayer, worship, or social activity.
- Organize shared youth retreats.
- Merge youth groups (where groups are small).
- Celebrate a Youth Rally or similar gathering.
- Promote participation in a national youth activity.
- Encourage youth (in local congregation or in a region) to create skits or a drama to promote CUIC and church unity in general.
- They can make presentations in denominational meetings.